Back in 1898 the funeral home was first established by John & Sophia Basler
Original Home of John & Sophia
Built by John in 1907
Funeral Parlor Added To Home
The first parlor was added sometime in the 1930's for families to use. Prior to having the parlor many times visitations were held in a room in the house or at the decedents residence.
Then we added a larger parlor in the late 1940's.
Then adding on even more space to the funeral home in 1979.
Leo C. "Pumkin" & Agnes Basler
Pumkin took over the business in 1932 when his dad John died. He ran the family business until his death in 1971. Now the funeral home is owed by Pumkin's son Leo "Chipper" and his wife Carolyn. It has truly been a family affair running the funeral home since it began in 1898. Since 1997 Chipper and Carolyn's son Eric along with his wife Julie, have been working at the funeral home making him the 4th generation of Basler's to work in the family profession.
Leo C. "Chipper" Jr. & Carolyn Basler
Chipper was the owner of Basler Funeral Home since 1971 and Coroner for Ste. Genevieve County for over 30 years. He graduated from Kentucky School of Mortuary Science in 1970 and was a member of the National Funeral Director's Association, Selected Independent Funeral Homes, Missouri Coroner's Association, owned and operated Basler Ambulance Service until 1979, and was a member of Missouri Funeral Director's and Embalmer's Association where he chaired the MO Fund Pac and the Education Committee.